About Taylor Residences
On August 24, 1963, Jacksonville businessman Samuel Clarence Taylor died in his Wesconnett home. He was 87.
His death did not mark the end of an era, but rather the beginning of a new mission dedicated to the shelter and well-being of aged citizens.
While most acquaintances of Sam Taylor admired the success of his real estate business, others who knew of his modest beginnings were more impressed by his lifelong devotion to honest labor and thrift.
On December 4, 1895, Sam Taylor married Fannie E. Kornegay of Sampson County North Carolina. After two years of struggling for existence on the Taylor farm, they moved to Jacksonville where Mr. Taylor washed and cleaned Pullman cars for a wage of $1.05 a day.
In 1900, he joined the Jacksonville Police Force and advanced to the rank of sergeant. He resigned in 1904 to start his real estate business with $700 in savings. Success smiled upon him and he was part of Jacksonville's growth well past his retirement in 1945.
On October 28, 1956, Mr. Taylor was among 23 Christians who assembled in a six-room frame house that he owned for the opening of the Wesconnett Church of Christ. Shortly thereafter, he donated the land to the church for classrooms and an auditorium. He remained a member of this congregation until his death.
Like her husband, Fannie E. Taylor possessed an unpretentious and unselfish manner. She was a board member of the Florida Christian Home for the Aged, where she actively worked to improve the lives of Jacksonville's elderly.
Perhaps the finest tribute to Mrs. Taylor, who died April 19, 1962, was her influence upon Mr. Taylor to leave virtually his entire estate to the Samuel C. Taylor Foundation to support the care of aged citizens.
All nine Jacksonville Churches of Christ responded to Mr. Taylor's call by nominating men for the original Board of Trustees. At a meeting in the basement of the former Riverside Park church on October 21, 1962, Mr. Taylor outlined his plan. The board was selected and R. Irvin Christian of the Wesconnett congregation was named chairman.
The other original board members (and their congregation) were: C. Graham McGehee, San Jose; David Sebastian, Arlington; Thomas Lavender, Jr., Dean Road; Leon Mobley, Edgewood; William Newton, Post and Nelson St.; C. Collier McGehee, Riverside Park; Thomas Jackson, Paxon; Charlie Garner, Springfield; and Bert Poarch, alternate, Wesconnett. On February 22, 1963, this group executed the Foundation Agreement with Mr. Taylor.
According to Samuel Taylor's last will and testament, "This Foundation is created as the fulfillment of a dream of the Donor and in loving memory of his wife, Fannie E. Taylor, who is now deceased. It is created with the hope that other citizens of this community...will affirmatively express by tangible gifts their interest in citizens who have reached the twilight of their years."
Today at Taylor Residences
For more than 40 years, the Taylor Foundation has provided quality housing and services for seniors. Today, these facilities provide housing and care for approximately 700 residents, with a staff of 380 dedicated people. During the next 30 years, our aging population will require more care than ever before --- and Taylor Residences will continue its mission as one of the First Coast's leading senior communities.
Taylor Residences is one of northeast Florida's largest communities available to seniors of moderate-to-low income. Affordable monthly rents are offered through independent lifestyle apartments, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing centers at our Chester Avenue and our Spring Park Road campuses. Taylor Residences now offers Home Health Care and Adult Day Care for the senior living community. Taylor Home Health Care offers the highest quality of care with 24 hour service, 7 days a week to meet the needs of patients in their home. Taylor Adult Day Care services provides relief to family members and allows the freedom to go to work, handle personal business or just relax while knowing your loved one is well cared for and safe.
The Samuel C. Taylor Foundation is a private non-profit organization that develops retirement services for older adults. It was formed with an initial contribution of assets from Samuel C. Taylor's estate, valued at $1.5 million in 1963. The board of trustees is comprised of local Church of Christ members who voluntarily serve in order to ensure quality housing and services for all residents regardless of their religion, race, sex, or national origin.